While the temperatures were freezing in Europe, the best short distance triathletes had to cope with hot temperatures on the Queensland coast (Australia) for the first ITU Triathlon race of the year.
The silver medal at the 2012 Olympic Games, Javier Gomez (ESP), took the win ahead of Matt Chrabot (USA) and Peter Kerr (AUS) in 1:54:32. This early season victory represents a very good start for the Spanish triathlete who aims the 2013 World Champion title but also brings him to second place on the all-time list of ITU World Cup triathlon wins (13th World Cups victories).
For past two seasons, Javier Gomez has raced on SRAM RED drivetrain, the world best-in-class componentry: fast, precise and accurate shifting, powerful aero braking, and wind-cheating ergonomics. His confidence and easy performance on the bike allow him to deliver full power on the run to claim a new World Cup victory in Mooloolaba (he won that race in 2008).
ITU Triathlon Series:
- Auckland (NZL): April 6, 2013
- San Diego (USA): April 19, 2013
- Yokohama (JPN): May 11, 2013
- Madrid (ESP): June 1, 2013
- Kitzbühel (AUT): July 6, 2013
- Hamburg (GER): July 20, 2013
- Stockholm (SWE): August 24, 2013
- Grand Final London (GBR): September 11-15, 2013